The Victim Services Unit (VSU) of the Saint John Police Force provides safe, inclusive, and respectful professional services to individuals, witnesses, and their families who have experienced crime or other traumatic events. The VSU is staffed by a civilian coordinator and several trained volunteers who are committed to treating all people with dignity, compassion and respect. For transparency, all information provided to us is recorded for our files, but is held in strict confidence.
VSU assistance may be offered following incidents such as assault, break and enter, sexual assault, domestic violence, homicide, robbery, sudden death, suicide, and a major accident. At the request of the police, VSU services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Types of service
- VSU Services are available Monday thru Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm.
- Assistance with Emergency Intervention Orders
- Emotional and practical support at the time of crisis as well as follow-up as needed
- Referrals to appropriate counselling services, support groups, financial assistance and housing resources
- Case specific information (e.g., status of police investigation, charges laid against the offender, outcome of court appearances)
- Assistance with safety planning
- We also work collaboratively with other community agencies around issues such as domestic violence, relationship problems, grief, substance abuse, suicide, and more.