In any modern city, libraries are much more than places to read and check out books. They’re public gathering places, city “living rooms”, egalitarian places where anyone and everyone can meet, and take advantage of the useful services the library offers.
In Saint John, the Carnegie Building became the library’s long-term permanent home from 1904 to 1983, before moving to its current location in Market Square. The Saint John Free Public Library also has two satellite branches. The West Branch, the first mall library in New Brunswick, opened in 1967 and is still at this location. The East Branch is located at the Saint John Transit building on MacDonald Road.