For eligible residential properties, the City of Saint John collects your household garbage and organics on one week and two week schedules, Monday through Friday. To keep your neighbourhood clean, please do not place your waste curbside before the following timeframes.
For daytime collection, place your waste curbside between 10 p.m. the evening before collection, and 7:30 a.m. the day of collection. For nighttime collection, place your waste curbside between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.
Solid waste customers are reminded that electronics are not collected with regular garbage and compost collection service. These items may be recycled free of charge at select depots across the city. For more information, please visit www.fundyrecycles.com.
How to stash your trash
- Small bags—such as grocery bags or small kitchen bags—are not accepted. Please place smaller bags in either an approved container, or a larger garbage bag.
- Loose garbage will not be accepted. Items must be bagged or bundled.
- Bags must be non-transparent and cannot weigh more than 20 kg (about 40 pounds).
- Metal or plastic containers with a cover may be used to store garbage. Containers with bagged contents may not weigh more than 20 kg (about 40 pounds) total.
- Please label dangerous items like broken glass. There are specific packaging requirements for glass for the operators safety.
- Packages or bundles must be baled or tied, and cannot exceed 1 metre (3 feet) in length, and .5 metres in width or depth. They also cannot weigh more than 20 kg (40 pounds) each.
- Use an approved compostable bag for compost weighing no more than 20 kg (40 pounds). Curbside green plastic organics cart must not weigh more than 100 pounds with contents.
- Park your compost or garbage bin correctly. The best location for your cart is at the edge of your driveway. The wheels must be facing the house and the lid must be closed but not secured. Ensure that the cart is at least an arm’s length away from other objects such as bags of garbage or a car.
City of Saint John garbage and compost collection eligibility is based on the Provincial Property Assessment Data and the City of Saint John’s Solid Waste By-Law. Commercial properties and multi-unit (five or more units) residences within a garbage collection route are not serviced. If you have any questions regarding service in your area, please call 658-4455.