Improved curbside garbage, recycling and compost collection services are now underway with the enhanced Waste Wise Program.
An information sheet describing the program has been delivered with the new carts and totes and can also be found HERE.
- Curbside recycling:
- All residents will receive two recycling totes. A blue recycling tote and lid for your paper/ boxboard /cardboard recyclables, and a green recycling tote for plastics and metals.
- There is no limit to the amount of recycling households can place at the curb. The colour of the container does not matter; however, contents must be properly sorted by paper and cardboard or plastics and metals.
- Garbage bag limits:
- One full city-issued garbage cart (approximately two large garbage bags)
- For households that will not receive a garbage cart and will continue to receive bag collection (South-Central Peninsula, Old North End and Waterloo Village):
- A limit of one bag per weekly pickup
- A limit of one bag per weekly pickup
- Garbage Bag Tags for excess garbage:
- Bag tags are required when allowable garbage bag limits are reached and additional bags need to be used.
- Bag tags can be purchased for $2 per tag at the City Hall Customer Service Centre and other locations across the city. Find a full list of vendors HERE or seen below.
- Bag tags are available for purchase at locations across the City including City Hall.
|City Hall Customer Service Centre||15 Market Square, Saint John, NB|
|Kanes Corner||40 Loch Lomond Rd, Saint John, NB|
|Best Stop Ultramar||111 Bayside Dr, Saint John, NB|
|Forest Hills Variety||557 Westmorland Rd, Saint John, NB|
|Airport General Store||4105 Loch Lomond Rd, Saint John, NB|
|Chuck's Convenience||157 Metcalf St, Saint John, NB|
|Friendly's Convenience||241 Millidge Ave, Saint John, NB|
|Saint John Regional Hospital Gift Shop||400 University Ave, Saint John, NB|
|Jean Coutu||35 University Ave, Saint John, NB|
|South End Convenience (George’s)||131 St. James St, Saint John, NB|
|Jim Bob's Variety||1059 Manawagonish Rd, Saint John, NB|
213 Ludlow St, Saint John, NB
|Sun Ray Variety||23 Waterloo St, Saint John, NB|
|Lancaster News Mart & Smoke Shop||621 Fairville Blvd, Saint John, NB|
|Shawn's Variety||131 Broad Street, Saint John, NB|
*Residents may request bag tags to be mailed to them by contacting the Customer Service Centre at 658-4455. A minimum order of one full sheet (13 tags) and payment by credit card is required.
- Curbside compost will continue to be offered under the new program.
- The bulky items pick-up service will continue to be offered to all customers, by appointment, by contacting Customer Service at 658-4455.
Urban bag tags
Residents who live in the South-Central Peninsula, Old North End and Waterloo Village areas of the city will be required to place an urban bag tag on their garbage bags prior to pickup.
Urban bag tags will be mailed to residents living in those areas on a quarterly basis.
Medical Waste Support Program
Do you or someone in your household have a medical condition that results in additional waste that cannot be recycled?
The City of Saint John’s Medical Waste Support program is designed to assist those who regularly need to dispose of extra garbage due to medical reasons. For those who qualify, the program provides garbage tags for 52 additional bags tags per year at no cost.
To protect your privacy, all tags provided are standard City of Saint John Excess Garbage Bag Tags. Applications are accepted throughout the year and must be renewed annually.
How to apply and program details:
- Download and complete the (PDF). The form must be signed by a Physician or Nurse Practitioner before it is returned to the City as outlined in the application.
- Only paper copies of this form will be accepted.
- If you do not access to a printer, you can call 506-658-4455 and arrange to have a form mailed to you.
- Once received, the application will be reviewed for accuracy. Incomplete forms will be returned to the applicant.
- If there are multiple residents who live in the household requiring extra tags, a separate form must be filled out for each resident.
- If approved, 52 City of Saint John excess garbage bag tags will be mailed to the address provided.
- This program excludes personal protective equipment (PPE).
Applications must be renewed annually on the anniversary date of the applicant’s program approval by filling out a Medical Waste Support Renewal Form (PDF). The application renewal date will be provided in a letter that accompanies the tags.
Please visit the "Related Documents" section of this page for application forms.
We can all make improvements in the amount of waste we generate in our lives, and become more responsible for our waste. Waste Wise Saint John is an initiative that aims to help residents reduce waste through education, resources, and enforcement.
Composting reduces landfill waste, thereby extending the life of the landfill. Plus, animals and birds will not be attracted to your garbage if there is no food product in it, which makes for cleaner properties and streetscapes. But did you know that it even makes economic sense to compost? The FRSC fee for compost is $40 per metric tonne, compared to the $108 per tonne of garbage. We save money and help save the planet when we compost.
For composting tips, please visit the Fundy Regional Service Commission website here.
You can reduce household waste by nearly 50 per cent when you recycle!
Household electronics can be recycled at the Crane Mountain Landfill Hazardous Waste Depot and at other depot locations throughout the city. This is a free program.
For more recycling information including a blue bin map, visit Fundyrecycles.com.
Preventing a mess
You can help prevent garbage from making a mess of yards, sidewalks or streets. Secure your containers during inclement weather, and cover your garbage with an old blanket or tarp to prevent animal and bird interference—crews will leave your covering behind when they clear your street. Remember, you are responsible for your garbage and any loose refuse resulting from weather, animals, or otherwise.